Dogwood is not often found in our area. But since this plant has unsurpassed beneficial properties, it is worth considering to start growing it at the dacha.
Planting dogwood and the subsequent care of him - the procedure is absolutely not complicated, which is even for a novice gardener. This shrub is unpretentious, and at the same time has tasty berries.
The time of ripening of the dogwood in Moscow region, Krasnodar region and in Ukraine
Cornel prefers the warm climate of the Caucasus and Transcaucasiawhere it grows in mountain forests, on sunny edges, as well as in thickets of other shrubs. In addition, it grows on the territory of Ukraine, the Crimea, Central and Southern Europe, as well as in Western Asia. In Russia, dogwood is successfully cultivated in various areas - Moscow region, Krasnodar Territory and other regions.
The start of flowering of common dogwood occurs in March, and the end - in April. Ripen fruit closer to mid-autumn, depending on the region of growth. When the fruit is ripe, they begin to fall from the bush. The ripeness of the fruit of the dogwood can be determined by taste.Crop harvested every year in September, and the roots - in late November.Freshly picked berries of dogwood
For long-term storage of berries at home they are cut off as they begin to ripen. The fruits are placed in small baskets where they ripen., and then stored at a temperature of 0 - +2 C.
Pleasant, sweet and sour to taste with a specific aroma, dogwood fruits are often consumed fresh, and experienced housewives rush to buy cornels, to make delicious jams, jellies, jams, juices, compotes, marmalades, or simply to fill the fruits with sugar and store. Also, the berries can be saved by freezing.
Reproduction dogwood bones at home
It is possible to propagate the cornel with the help of a bone, i.e. sprout it. To do this, take ripe berries, free the bone from the pulp and placed in boxes with wet sawdust or moss for one year, regularly maintaining a moist environment. This method is carried out stratification of seeds before planting. The stone of this plant is not divided into cotyledons. In this regard, it should not be placed deeper than 3 cm. Unstratified bones germinate only after 2 years, and not all. Germinated seeds sprout in the year when they are sown.Sprouted dogwood seed
It is simple to care for seeds: watering, top dressing, at the beginning of growth shading from hot sunshine. During the first year, seedlings grow up to 3-4 cm, by the end of the second - up to 10-15 cm. The berries of cornel, grown from seeds, are harvested after 7-10 years from the time of sowing.
Dogwood varietal properties, like all fruit plants, retains during vegetative propagation. Cornels can be propagated by grafting, green cuttings and replanting. The most effective way - reproduction by budding, the rooting of the eyes at the same time is 92-97%
When to plant dogwood in different regions of Russia?
The best period for planting shrubs on open ground in the southern regions is autumn. It is not difficult to determine the time for planting a cornel - as soon as the leaves of the poplar fall. It is recommended to plant this plant in the fall, because during spring planting you have to plant it in a rather short time: between how the soil warms up, and the period when the buds of the shrub begin to bloom.
In the autumn, cornels are planted no later than mid-October, 2-3 weeks before the onset of frost.. Well watered and rounded shrubs have time to settle down, they endure winter well and begin to grow rapidly in early spring.
Advantages and disadvantages of autumn planting
Autumn planting has several advantages.:
- Dogwood seedlings planted in autumn manage to heal damaged roots during the winter and add new suction roots to spring. Due to this, the young plant is able to withstand the early spring droughts and dry winds typical of the southern regions without complications.
- It is much more profitable to buy cornel in autumn. Gardeners and nurseries sell freshly planted planting materials, resulting in a huge selection of products at affordable prices.
- Autumn planting delivers quite a bit of trouble. It is enough to do only one watering, and the rest of the work will be done by nature on its own. Rainy weather in the autumn provides the dogwood with the necessary state of humidity and comfort.
- Another important advantage is time saving. Autumn planting of dogwood seedlings frees up a large amount of time and effort for other work, which becomes quite a lot with the onset of spring.
Autumn planting has certain drawbacks.:
- Severe frosts can ruin still immature plants. In winter, there are strong winds, snowfalls and other weather problems that can break down young trees and shrubs.
- The danger for shrubs are rodentseating seedlings in late autumn and in winter.
Sometimes freshly picked berries of a cornel with a pericarp are planted in August. Germination in this case is 70-80% after 1.5 years from the date of sowing.
Important rules when planting dogwood
Certain rules should be followed during landing.:
- Plant dogwood preferably in a shaded placebetween the trees. Thus, you can save garden space and solve the problem of using low-light areas on the site.
- When choosing a site groundwater placement should be considered, as the cornel root system branches at 1 m from the ground surface.
- For good yields recommended to plant several different varieties of plantsi, because they bloom at one time.
- When planting a bush humus, manure, mineral fertilizers are not used. Only water is needed.
Below is a detailed description of the process of planting dogwood in the garden.
How to prepare a sapling?
During the purchase of planting material should focus on the root: the more powerful it is - the more rapidly the plant will develop. One should be wary of weak, weathered, thin roots with obvious signs of pain. You need to acquire powerful seedlings with 2-3 root branches for at least 30 cm in length. The bark on the trunk must be intact, and the branches intact.
To fully ensure the viability of the plant you like, you need to slightly cut the bark. If the incision is green - it means the choice is right if brown - it is necessary to continue the search for a suitable dogwood.Before planting, dogwood seedlings should be placed in water for several days.
The rhizome of the seedling should be well hydrated. In the case of long-term transportation, it is wrapped in wet material and placed in a plastic bag. If the roots have dried out during the transportation period, they should be placed in water for a few days before planting.. If after purchase it is impossible to plant a sapling immediately, it is added dropwise under an inclination in a shaded place. Here it is important that the ground covers all the roots, as well as half of the seed. It is possible to store a plentifully watered plant in this look for a month.
Choosing a place to plant in the garden or cottage
What is the most suitable place for growing dogwood at the cottage? For an unpretentious cornel any site is suitable. In order to harvest good yields, the soil must be fertilized, drained, moist and alkaline..
Dogwood does not take root in swampy soils. In addition, clay plots and poorly lit areas should be avoided. For the first 5 years of cultivation of this shrub penumbra is perfect. Then the dogwood can be transplanted to a sufficiently lit part of the garden. To save space, it is advised to plant a shrub between old trees, which, by their shadow, will protect its root system from drying out. Dogwood gets on with each of the fruit plants, with the exception of only walnut.
Description of the process of planting seedlings on the open ground in the autumnDogwood planting rules
To properly plant the dogwood, follow these steps.:
- Before planting, the plant should be carefully inspected again and pruning broken branches and damaged roots. Then it is good to process all the roots with a prepared clay mash. When planting in the autumn, you need to carefully remove the foliage from the dogwood.
- Deepening for seedlings should easily accommodate the rhizome. Will fit pit depth 30-50 cm.
- Digging a hole into it drive a stake, which then will need to bind the plant.
- Approximately 15 cm of pebbles are placed on the bottom of the pit. or expanded clay. If the soil is poor, drainage by one third is covered with leaf soil.
- Cornel prefers potassium-rich soil. It can be enriched with limemixed with the substrate in a ratio of 150 g per 1 mg.
- When placing a seedling in a hole, its roots should be carefully stretched, and root neck is under 2 - 3 cm of soil.
- Falling asleep hole, you need to follow, so that around the roots did not appear emptiness. To avoid this should be trampled down landed material and well watereds
- Shrub is a must grumble about 10-15 cm. This procedure is necessary to ensure that the roots are located superficially, not dry. To do this, you can use needles of pine, sawdust, straw or hay.
- 7 days after landing the dogwood around the dogwood should be compacted and re-watered.
Shrub care is an important time to get a good harvest.
Cornels do not need special care. The main thing - to constantly water it for one year from the time of planting. Watering is carried out 2 times during the week. So that the water does not spread over the territory, it is worth making a furrow around the seedling.
In the first growing year you need to monitor the condition of the leaves. If they begin to dry out and curl, it means that the plant lacks moisture. Also during the first 3 years, gardeners need to monitor the cleanliness of the soil near the cornel. Weeds that are grown at a distance of 1 m from the plant should be disposed of.
To ensure improved air exchange of the layer in which the roots of the plant are located, it is necessary to periodically loosen the soil to a depth of about 10 cm. To make it easier to engage in this process, it is necessary to loosen the next day after watering.
Some gardeners bring in alternately humus and compost, or every year at the beginning of the summer period they pour water with chicken droppings into the plants in a ratio of 10: 1. Others make fertilizers from 0.03 kg of ammonium nitrate and one bucket of humus. In late August, 0.5 liters of wood ash is poured under the adult plant. And at the end of the harvest, it is desirable to add 0.1 kg of superphosphates. However, lime is recognized as the most important fertilizer. Thanks to her, potassium is present in the soil, which affects the future number of fruits.
When caring for cornels, regular soil treatment is important.. It is carried out annually at least 6-7 times, regardless of the age and fruitfulness of the shrub. Begin processing in the spring, and finish in the autumn, after collecting all the fruits. The final stage of loosening the soil around the plant is its mulching.
How to transplant ordinary dogwood?
If there is a need to transplant plants from one site to another, the method of reproduction is used by dividing the bush.
For one year, this method can be used in early spring or late autumn. The plant is removed from the soil and freed from old branches. The root is cleared from the ground, and the shrub is cut into several pieces. The roots are trimmed, the old processes are removed. After which the individual parts are planted in the prepared wells.
Common dogwood is a long-liver. It can produce excellent yields for over 100 years.. Therefore, if you plant a dogwood, it will please more than one generation with its tasty and healthy berries.